Warning Signs of an Ailing Relationship
“How do I know when my relationship is ailing, and that intervention is needed”?
Most of us know that romantic relationships are hard work. We all have some understanding that, like flowers, relationships need nourishment to flourish. Yet, we’re sometimes woefully under prepared to identify, address and correct unhealthy or unproductive aspects of our relationships.
As a Certified Gottman Educator who is trained in Gottman Method Couples Therapy, Winifred Ling lays out hard truths of an ailing relationship in dire need of intervention. In her blog post, she details warning signs that we would do well to take notice of, such as
- Lack of physical intimacy and sex
- A climate of contempt instead of kindness and respectfulness
- Lack of awareness and interest in your partner
- Feeling lonely in the relationship
- Living parallel lives (no shared activities)
- Waiting games
- Keeping scores
- Forgetting your shared dreams and ‘love story’
Read Winifred’s full blog post on her website for more insight on these warning signs, and how you can address them. It’s a pretty great webpage, full of clever observations and sobering thoughts, with a whole lot of great content.